The Cascade Topology Seminar is a semi-annual gathering of
topologists from the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern Canada.
Pictures courtesty of Brad Shelton
Fall 2003 Meeting: Saturday and Sunday November 1-2
University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
Note also a special colloquium talk by
Gunnar Carlsson on Friday, October 31 at 4pm.
Meeting number 32
be in the common room in Fenton Hall.
All lectures will be in 110 Fenton Hall.
For previous attendees of the Cascade in Eugene, note that this is
not the usual place.
There will be a party at Dev Sinha's house on Saturday evening.
For information: Hal
Sadofsky (541) 346-5619,
Dev Sinha (541) 346-5627.
University of Oregon, Department of Mathematics
Limited support from the National Science Foundation is available for
participants in these meetings without grant support. First priority
will go to graduate students and faculty from regional universities.
Participants from other universities may be supported if funds are
Eugene is served by United Airlines with direct flights from San
Francisco and Denver. It is also served by Horizon/Alaska Air with
flights from a number of nearby cities, and by America West.
For really complete driving information see Chris
To reach Eugene and the University of Oregon from the North:
- I-5 to Exit 194B (Eugene, I-105 West).
- I-105 West to Exit 2 (Coburg Rd).
- Fork on exit; stay left, following sign for UO and Downtown.
- Follow Coburg Rd straight (south) onto bridge, crossing Willamette River.
- Get in left lane and follow signs to UO.
- You will end up on Franklin Blvd heading ESE. Stay in right lane.
- At first light, follow Franklin around a bend to the left, now heading east.
- You will pass the following in this order:
- Arby's on left
- McDonald's on left
- A stop light at Hilyard; go straight (east)
- Original Pancake House on right
- Phoenix Inn on right
- A stop light at 11th; go straight (east)
- Burger King on left at Agate St./Riverfront Pkwy.
- Turn right (south) on Agate St.
- Turn left (east) on 13th and park in the visitor lot (on left) or at a meter.
To reach Eugene and the University of Oregon from the
South (on I5):
Take exit 192 toward Eugene.
This exit will place you on Franklin Boulevard heading west. Turn
left (south) onto Agate St., and follow instructions above to get to
visitor parking lot.
Fenton Hall is a 8 to 10 minute walk west along 13th Avenue from
the visitors parking lot.
The hotels below are quite close by. Mention you are going to a
conference at the University of Oregon so you are given the
- New Oregon Best Western, 1-800-528-1234 or 1-541-683-3669, 1655 Franklin
Blvd. (from $55.)
- Green Tree Best Western, 1-800-528-1234, 1-541-485-2727 1759 Franklin Blvd.
- Franklin Inn, 541-342-4804, 1857 Franklin Blvd. ($35-$50)
Also very close (maybe a 15 minute walk to where the talks are) but
west of campus, and therefore close to downtown:
- Motel 6, (Eugene South) 3690 Glenwood Drive. This is about 1.5
miles from the University, (541) 687-2395. It is east of the
University, off of I5.
- Motel 6, (Eugene-Springfield) 3752 International Ct Springfield,
(541) 741-1105. This is off I5, a several miles to the north of the
- Pacific 9 Motor Lodge. 3550 Gateway Springfield, (541)
726-9266. This is also
north of the University off of I5. It is very Motel 6-like.
- The Timbers Motel, 1015 Pearl St. Eugene, (541) 343-3345. This
is in downtown Eugene, about 1.5 miles from the University to the
west. (It isn't in the woods in spite of its name - choose the first
Motel 6 if you want in the woods.)
These three are listed in order as you approach the U of O.
- Campus Inn, 1-800-888-6313, 390 E. Broadway.
- Eugene Motor Lodge, 1-800-876-7829, 476 E. Broadway ($38 single).
- Travelers Inn, 1-541-342-1109, 540 E. Broadway ($32 single).
Directions to Dev Sinha's house
Dev Sinha's house is relatively close to campus (25 minute walk or less), but
the directions are complicated.
Here are detailed directions.
There are restaurants along 13th Avenue heading west into the downtown
area, several of which are quite close to the university.
The biggest concentration near the University is on Alder between 11th
and 13th Avenues.
There are also places to eat up around the corner of Agate and 19th
Avenue, south of the campus. And there are restaurants along Franklin
Boulevard, and at the 5th Street Market (which is on 5th Avenue,
The math department is in Deady Hall and
Fenton Hall. |
Return to the UO Math
Department home page.